Monday, April 22, 2013

Genesis 4 - 7

Notes since last time

I want to clarify one thing, I didn't mean to imply that I was going to limit commenting to a single paragraph for each chapter. I tend to be very terse in writing and was merely estimating how I foresee many sections going. Especially in the beginning, I don't find much of the chapters interesting and I don't intend to be a substitute to reading the relevant chapters (before reading the notations below). This is more of a notation of my thoughts while reading it.

Getting on with it

Genesis 4

The story of Cain and Abel, the people not the hacking utility. Cain killed Abel because God favored Abel and was outcast. Lineage is described, including polygamy (This is merely a historical account and does not condone it nor condemn).

This is also a spot many people focus on "make love", a special act. Well, I'm telling you to get over it, the Jehovah’s Witnesses say "intercourse" and that isn't special at all.

Genesis 5

Family Tree, tl;dr. Though this is apparently not comprehensive because where did these spouses come from?

Genesis 6

An age limit of 120 is set by God. I could argue this is describing evolution where long age does not affect procreation, but that is not really relevant at this point.

God liked Noah, so he had him build an ark with two of every animal before he flooded the world (and his children and children's children, etc.). God regretted making us, bummer.

Genesis 7

Noah apparently worked for DuPont and made the ark larger than spec because when the time came for flood, God instead sent 7 pairs of all animals (except for the unclean ones).

Then the flood came, 40 days of rain and the flood lasted 150 days.

Bible critical

Rather than try to summarize this other blog, I am simply going to link to it since the writing is much better than mine. Relevant Post

No comments:

Post a Comment